Scientific notation remains a mystery for many students.
These science skills have been discussed so far:
2. Applying the Scientific Method
3. Scientific Writing
4. Experimental design
The next skill that I find so important is the proper use of scientific notation. I have found that many of my students in an 11th grade chemistry class are still struggling with how to write numbers in scientific notation. I spend a class period each year re-teaching this important skill. Since chemistry involves the use of the very large and the very small numbers, scientific notation is a must. Students must be able to:
- Write numbers in scientific notation.
- Change numbers from scientific notion to standard form.
- Add and subtract numbers that are in scientific notation.
- Multiply and divide numbers that are written in scientific notion.
This is a much needed skill in a high school science class. It is well worth the time to spend a class period reviewing and reinforcing this concept.