It's a huge electronic bulletin board!
I have just discovered "Pinterest" and I have become totally captivated by it. It is not the sort of thing that I usually take an interest in, but I have to admit, this is really fun.
I have known about Pinterest for about a month. I took a quick look at it and decided it wasn't something that I wanted to do. Last night a friend encouraged me to give it another go, and after about 30 minutes, I became an addict.
Let me see if I can explain how it works.....
--Do you ever look at bulletin boards that are in public places, like your teacher's lounge, the library, or your church? Then you are going to love Pinterest!
--Do you use a lot of sticky notes for various bits of information? Then you are going to love Pinterest!
--Has your internet bookmark list become too long to manage? The you are going to love Pinterest!
In a very short period to time, here is what you can do on Pinterest and what Pinterest can do for you:
- Set up as many boards as you want.
- Organize your boards with a particular theme, such as "Blogs I Love to Visit" or "My Daily News Sources" or "Decorating Ideas for my House" or "Recipes". Are you getting the idea?
- Install the "Pin it" button on your toolbar. (It is super easy to do!) Whenever you are visiting a site that you like and want to remember for later, just click "pin it" and you can save the site to any board you like.
- Your boards are public and other people can see them. If someone sees something on your board they like, they can re-pin it to one of their own boards.
- This is a great tool if you are trying to spread the word about something. For example: You might place a link to your blog or web site on one of your boards. If someone else re-pins it to their board, your message has now spread to all who follow the other person.
- You can search other boards for areas of interest to you. For example, I might search for "biology teachers". I can then follow these people I have found, or look at their boards to see what neat stuff they have pinned there.
I encourage you to give Pinterest a try. Once you are a member (or if you are already a member) how about joining the Pinterest Linky Party? Michelle of "Michelle's Math in the Middle" is hosting a linky party. Join the party and follow all the others who are in the party. Let's see how many followers we can get to our boards!